Friday, March 19, 2010

These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Moments here are passing so quickly, I find myself wanting to find someway to hold on to them longer, slow the blur of daily life down. Here is a list of some of my favorite things, the stuff I want to remember:

  • The sound of students yelling "good morning teacher” on my walk to school.
  • The burn of chili’s that only seems to get worse when you drink water.
  • The way it feels when a student braids my hair.
  • The student who fills in answers they don’t know on the test with “I love teacher Kate”.
  • The joy of cooling powder.
  • The way the "school bus" (really its just a old white pickup with a cage around the back) sounds coming down the road, I can pick it out from a mile away.
  • The way my roommate Don says “WOW”! And the facial expression that goes along with it.
  • Dancing with my students and having them beg me to “Sing a song”.
  • The way the mountains of Laos look from across the Mekong on a clear day.
  • All my dog friends who I have tamed with kindness and now follow me to and from school.
  • Watching water buffalo go for a swim in the pond behind my house.
  • Cheap, delicious, amazing fruit!
  • Shy smiles from the villagers when I wander in town for the weekly market.
  • The celebrity status of being a “farang” (foreigner) in Northeast Thailand.
  • The geckos in my room that eat all the bugs that want to eat me.
  • The strange, strange calls of the giant Tuki geckos looking for love.
  • Isan folk music…its really catchy.
  • Thai dancing, I wish my fingers could bend so gracefully.
  • Homemade Tom Yum Kung (spicy shrimp soup) with coconut milk .
  • Vibrant color everywhere.
  • The ghost houses outside of people houses...gotta give those spirits a place to live.
  • Rice fields lined with eucalyptus trees.
  • Families of four on one small motor bike.
  • Dried bananas coated in honey.
  • Sticky rice
  • The simplicity of life here.

No comments:

Post a Comment