Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Taste Taste

My roommate always says, "Kate, taste, taste?" When he wants me to try something new and for some reason I can never refuse...except in the case of "kai mot" (ant eggs). They really creep me out. So I said no.

However, I convinced some students who were being very "ai" (shy) to eat lunch with me the other day. They shared some of there food with me and of course they had ant eggs...but i couldnt say no to them! So I taste, taste. And it was not as horrific as I had imagined, there was so bursting of strange, gelatinous fluid...just a little squish. I did it, I may even do it again, as long as there is some Som Tom to go with it!

So lets see, since moving to Thailand I have sampled fried crickets, cow placenta soup, raw pork, turkey brains and red ant soup...its cicada season now, I guess I'll have to try one. What have you eaten today?


the ant eggs (with chili and fish sauce)

Som Tom (papaya salad), this dish is eaten with EVERY meal





No comments:

Post a Comment