Sunday, October 18, 2009

Just call me insect...

Oct.16th we had our TV appearance…and of course I embarrassed myself! Our interviewer asked me what my Thai nickname was and instead of pronouncing “Tootakaa” (which means doll) I said “Tutaka” and called myself an insect. Everyone laughed, the Thais especially. Luckily I was able to say some face by saying the name of my school right! Regardless, I have decided that TV is not for me and think I will refrain from anymore appearances…I am also hoping that no one recognizes me and shouts “Insect” at me in the streets!

Here I am calling myself an insect..awesome PR move


After our big TV interview we headed to That Phanom (another nearby province) to visit the Wat Phra That Phanom, a gorgeous and beautiful wat that is covered in gold and gems and much larger than any we have seen so far. We were greeted by a monk and then prayed and left offerings to ensure a good year.
Some pics of the Wat:










After touring the rest of the Wat we wondered around the market surrounding it. The market was really fun and colorful. There were stand selling cages of birds and bags of fish and eels to release for good karma. We stopped to use a rest room in the market that had an English sign that said “take shoes off please” with a sign in Thai written above it. However, once we were inside all the Thai women had their shoes on! (This was a bathroom that you really, really, did not want to be barefoot in!) We still can’t figure out if we were the victims of long standing joke of foreigners but I am leaning towards yes...
A stand in the market selling animals to free for good karma


Oct. 17th we went into town to get dinner at the night market. They had everything, it was increadibly hard to decide what to get. One day when I am feeling brave I will have to try the deep fried crickets, but last night I stuck to chicken and sticky rice.

The Night Market


Today, Oct. 18th, I had a Thai massage. It was an hour and a half long and only $10!!!! It was awesome, I think I am going to have to make it a regular occurrence…I was stretched and pulled and had my knots worked out and feel ready for our next day of fun. Tomorrow we are off to Muk Da Han, another province/city, to check out a Lao market and see the bridge to Laos.

1 comment:

  1. OK, Insect will now take the place of Dollface, which I find to be a kind of creepy name...
    Auntie Sue

    ReplyDelete