Saturday, October 30, 2010

Goodbye to Wonderland

The day has finally come...its time to leave Thailand. Its hard for me to grasp that the adventure of the past year is over, that my time in Wonderland has run out. I left Nakhon Phanom Wednesday evening, arriving in Bangkok thursday morning. Grief has been waiting around the corner while I wandered around the streets of Bangkok, surprising me and causing me to burst into tears over anything...the smell of incense from a temple, monks piled in a tuk-tuk, the Thai tea vendor who smiled at me, eating a bag of pineapple, the choking oder of chilies frying, the sound of papaya salad being pounded into submission in the pestle....the list could go on and on. Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed to be heading back home, but I am also full of sadness over saying goodbye to the land of smiles.

Thailand has changed me. I am a different woman that the one I was a year ago and I am eternally grateful for all that Thailand has taught and shown me. A piece of my heart will always be in Thailand and I will yearn for the sights, smells, sounds and joy of it until I one day return. For now I look towards home and wonder what adventure will be next to come


My sister giving me one last hug at the bus station

I'll miss you Thailand!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I recently compiled a list of the Top 50 Blogs for those interested in teaching abroad, and I just
    wanted to let you know that you made the list! We are promoting the list to college students looking to
    learn more about teaching or living in a foreign culture. The list is published online at
    http://www.onlinedegrees.org/top-50-blogs-for-those-interested-in-teaching-abroad/

    Thanks so much, and if you think your audience would find useful information in the list or on the site, please feel free to share the link. You can also use the button we've created for the list, which I can e-mail you. We always appreciate a link back as we're trying to increase readership.

    Thanks again, and have a great day!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete