Saturday, September 18, 2010

Its so Hard to Say Goodbye

Tonight is my last night here at Wangkasae. I cannot believe that the time has come already for me to go. I have been busily packing for the past two days and have yet to really wrap my head around what is happening, leaving seems surreal.

This evening I went on one last motorbike ride with my Sister Yuu. I relished feeling the cool wind through my hair as we buzzed around the village. I waved goodbye to students and their parents and tried to imprint upon my memory as many of the sights, sounds and smells as I could. The vibrant green of the rice patties, the steady tinkling of the bells on the cows as they meandered home, the herd of water buffalo happily swimming in the muddy pond, the pungent odor of fermented fish and frying pork from the market, the wide smiles on the faces of those we passed. I am overwhelmed with love and gratitude for this place that has become my home, I will miss it more than I can ever even begin to express and I know I am leaving a part of my heart here forever.

Tomorrow I head to Bangkok for a night and then to Vietnam to travel for two weeks, my first solo traveling venture. I am looking forward to my adventure but know I will be thinking often of what I have left behind. I will return to Thailand and Nakhon Phanom the first week of October to help with the new volunteer orientation and receive my TEFL certification before returning to the states on Halloween. While I am glad that my time in this region is not yet over I am grieved to think that my time here in my village with my students is finished. Thank you Wangkasae for the best year of my life! I will always be grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction and giving me a purpose.

I will post again as soon as I can but it may be a few weeks.......until next time, Choke dee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment