Friday, September 17, 2010

Bai Talat

This is a topic I have posted before but I couldn't resist one last salute to the markets of Thailand. One of my favorite things about Thailand is the wide variety of markets that are in every village, town and city. Instead of going to a grocery store or department store you simply go to your local "talat" (market) to get everything you need.

I truly believe that this market system is hugely beneficial for both community and health. When you go to the market you are buying food that has been grown or raised in the village so not only is it remarkably fresh but it's also sustainable. All the food you eat here has been lovingly cared for by the vendor who smiles as they sell it to you.

Small villages have tiny little markets a few times a week selling primarily food and household goods while larger markets appear in centrally located areas on the weekends selling clothing, food, household goods and anything else you may need.

Going to market is a social experiance where you are sure to see almost everyone you know and make new friends as you wander the "talat" and peruse the stalls. It's at the markets that I have met students parents, seen students that graduated and made friends with the vendors I see every week. I will miss this aspect of Thailand more than I can even comprehend. I can't even imagine returning to American grocery stores!


"intimates" at the Sunday market

views of the big market


My curryman


Food stalls at the Sunday market


My Pisao checking out the grilled pork at our small village market


Fermented fish....

My student and her mother selling the vegetables they grew

Two more students getting a snack

My friend! Every week at market we talk, I will miss her sweet smile

Locally grown veggies

Wangkasae Talat

Some of my students at the market

No comments:

Post a Comment