Friday, June 25, 2010

Off to Market

One of the things I most look forward to is my weekly jaunt to my village market on Monday nights. As I am a white female, not to mention unmarried, my school has deemed it "unsafe" for me to go to into the village of Wangkasae alone so I rarely get the opportunity to interact with those that live in my community. Yet every Monday I jump on the back of my Pisao (big sister) Yuu's motorbike and head to town to pick up food for dinner.

The market is small, about the length of half a block. Local women line the street with their wares set up for others to peruse. Vegetables, fruits, grilled chicken and pork, Laab (spicy meat salads), sweet drinks and desserts all line the road. Villagers stroll slowly through the market using their shopping time as a time to catch up with friends and pinch the cheeks of the new babies.

I love the feel of the market and the way I am greeted by the villagers. Old women grab my arms and give me the thumbs up sign, telling me how good I am to be a volunteer teacher. (At least thats what I am imagining they are trying to tell me!) Students bring their younger brothers and sisters to meet me and they practice their English skills to the delight of the adults around them. Villagers all try to come share a smile with me as I walk with Yuu to pick up vegetables and meat for dinner. I cant help but feel at home.


Some of my students at the Market

Checking out the goods

A fellow teacher picking up some veggies

No comments:

Post a Comment