Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Bare Necessities

Today after classes were done for the day I spent some time watching clips from Disney movies with my students. The clip they most enjoyed was from the Jungle Book, the song “Bare Necessities.”

While watching the clip I found the message of the song seemed to resound around me and also echo the Thai phrase “Mai pen rai”, which translates to “don’t worry” or “No problem”. As I have mentioned in previous posts “Mai pen rai” is really a motto for the Thai way of life. Thais tend to not focus on the stress of their lives, on the problems they face, sometimes they blatantly avoid all conflicts, but they are happy. Even if they have nothing, they are always happy. This has been the most important lesson I have learned here, to find fun in all aspects of life and to let go of my worries.

Here is a quote from the ending of the song “Bare Necessities”
“And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true

The bare necessities of life will come to you"

This was what most struck home to me as I listened with my students. I have learned to live without many things I deemed essential to daily life, hot water, flushing toilets, sinks and showers to name a few; but I am completely happy. Instead of focusing on the difficulties of my daily life I instead focus on the “bare necessities” I have come to realize I cannot live without: Love, friendship, contentment in my work and gratitude for my every day existence.

So I’ll tell you something true, I hope the bare necessities of life come to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment