Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mother's Day

Today, August 12th, is the Queen's birthday. As she is considered the mother of all Thai people it is also Mother's day in Thailand.

Yesterday at school we celebrated mother's day with a very moving ceremony that brought tears to my eyes and made me "kitung" (miss) my own mother. Students and Teachers sang songs in honor of the Queen and mother's everywhere.

After, student's own mothers came forward to be honored by their childern. Students presented flowers, bowed at their feet and expressed their gratitude. Seeing the love, affection, happiness and gratitude students and mother's had for one another was incredible.


Students paying respect to Mom

Warning: The next few picture may bring tears to your eyes!









I love how respect and gratitude are such an important part of Thai society and culture, it keeps one humble while enhancing the gratefulness for each other. I wish in America we were capable of recognizing and reflecting in the the same way. Mother's Day here in Thailand seemed more real and less like a Hallmark Holiday.

So on this Thaim mother's day I wanted to take a moment and say, " I love you Mom!"

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are so incredibly moving, Kate. And I agree, yesterday's activities at my school made me want to hop on a plane and do the same for my mom! Great post.

    ReplyDelete